Here are several tips and strategies to use when embedding your videos on your website:
Top Strategies for Embedding Videos on Your Website
Now that your videos are uploaded to YouTube, they are ready to add to your website. YouTube embed codes are easy to find and implement, but the default embed codes are not the best way to place your videos on your site.
In order to have your video thumbnails appear in Google’s search results, you need to use Schema Markup. Here is a Schema embed template for you to fill in and copy and paste onto your website:
<div itemprop=”video” itemscope itemtype=”http://schema.org/VideoObject”>
<meta itemprop=”duration” content=”T1M42S” /><br />
<meta itemprop=”embedURL” content=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn8zJ01Ywko” /><br />
<iframe width=”100%” height=”350″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jn8zJ01Ywko?rel=0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe><br />
Title:<span itemprop=”name”><small><em>What are the DUI laws in Washington State</em></small></span><br />
Description:<span itemprop=”description”><small><em>Criminal defense attorney John Smith explains the ins and outs of DUI cases in the video, “What are the DUI laws in Washington State”.</small></em></span><br />
<img style=”visibility:hidden;height:0;” itemprop=”thumbnailUrl” src=”http://www.yourwebsite/your-image-thumbnail/location.jpg” alt=”thumbnail text” /><br />
<meta itemprop=”uploadDate” content=”2016-03-02“/>
The sections in red are to be replaced for each individual video:
- For the duration, specify the length of your video in minutes before the letter “M”, and seconds before the letter “S”.
- Next, the string of random letters and numbers corresponds with the URL of your YouTube upload.
- Your title should match the FAQ topic of your YouTube video.
- You can pull from your YouTube video description to fill in the description section here, but keep it concise – no more than 1-2 sentences.
- For the thumbnail, we recommend using screenshots from your video featuring faces or your company’s branding.
- Finally, fill in the date that the video was originally uploaded to YouTube.
Use Schema Markup to embed your videos onto your website’s homepage. Make sure your website is optimized for the same target keywords, and you could have multiple results appearing in Google for the same high-value keyword.
This is significant because search results that include video thumbnails receive four times as many click-throughs as text-only search results.
If you have any questions or need help implementing these strategies, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.